Once a while somebody wants to write a blog post...
Previously my website and blog hosted on GitHub were statically generated using Hugo. Even before Hugo I tried Jekyll, Pelican and was checking out any site generator, that had at least some two-digit star count. Jekyll seemed too bloated and heavy-weight for my use case and the last time I looked into Pelican it had a license that I could not fully assess.
Hugo certainly is a nice tool, but keeping track of updates and dependencies is annoying. Even if I use a popular Hugo theme, I need to track updates of both Hugo and the theme. Updates usually involve messing around in the configuration file as well. Configuration files are almost always not compatible between different themes. The same applies to the folder structure and canonical links.
I did not find a single SSG fulfilling my personal requirements:
README.mdfiles are rendered nicely on GitHub and can be edited there as well. So the SSG should support rendering
index.htmlfiles for the repository/directory the file is located in!
If you want to view the markdown file "as is" on GitHub, links to own assets/posts are usually broken in most SSGs due to templated links. GitHub Pages has Jekyll support included, but it is not as transparent as running Jekyll and deploying the result on your own.
Further there are lots of things solved by multiple SSGs that are no requirements for me. An excerpt:
Why don't you just contribute to some project or develop your own theme?
I attempted to develop my own Hugo theme in the past, but I estimated the effort understanding all concepts and writing the archetypes, snippets and templates greater than just developing my own SSG. For the same reason contribution to another SSG project was out of question: Too much effort catching up, esp. since most general purpose generators emphasize different features, that I do not need (see above).
So instead of investing time into things that might not yield the desired result, I decided to go my own path.
This blog and website are now generated by
gg.py, a single Python3 file inspired by bashblog.
Initially, I picked Milligram as CSS baseline. It provides nice defaults without the need to put classes on every HTML element. This is especially handy, since I do not want to post-process the HTML generated from the Markdown input. Further dependencies included Google Fonts, Font Awesome and highlight.js. In the meantime (update 2022-03-06), I removed most CSS/JS dependencies and went with minimal, sane defaults inspired by http://bettermotherfuckingwebsite.com/ (no HTTPS, care!)
Open Graph meta data is rendered. The Python configuration file enables future preprocessing steps.
The mapping of GitHub repositories to (sub-)pages works nicely. Previous my website and blog were in the single repository
ooz.github.io. Now the
blog has its own repository which fits in with the GitHub Pages of some personal projects (e.g.
lifetime-clock). The new repository/page tree now looks like this:
ooz.github.io # GitHub user page ├── index.html ├── blog │ ├── index.html # Autogenerated from all blog posts │ ├── 2018 │ │ ├── why-i-wrote-yet-another-static-site-gen.html │ │ └── why-i-wrote-yet-another-static-site-gen.md ... ├── ggpy # A normal repository page ├── handshake ├── lifetime-clock
Obviously, the 12-hour-hack solution is not feature complete and has some rough edges. Things I am still looking forward to:
I thought about supporting Disqus as well, but I will probably rather include a "web 1.0" notice about using Twitter, GitHub issues or email to comment/contact me. This also reduces the attack vector of some German/EU bogus laws.
All in all I am pleased with the result so far.
The CSS framework, Markdown library and font selection were the biggest pain points costing a lot of development time.
gg.py was still a nice exercise: I learned about Twitter cards, Open Graph meta data formats and (re-)discovered some nice bash quirks in the source of bashblog!