Twitter has the concept of "Follow Friday":
- Each Friday, remind yourself to follow a new person
- This appreciates the work of others, may extend your bubble and their reach
For Twitter and its users, this has the following effects:
- Users get Dopamine kicks from gaining followers
- Users engage more in the platform (spend more time there) by both posting more content and consuming more content
A little reminder, this stuff was already possible is still possible with "web 1.0": via websites and emails, for instance.
Thus, I propose "Feedback Friday":
- Each Friday, reach out to someone whose work you appreciate, who inspired you. Maybe give pointers if asked for
- Use the preferred channel of the person you are contacting (email?)
- Maybe only do so if they explicitly asked for it
- ...or you see, they could use a cheer-up!
Over the course of the last two weeks, I got appreciative emails from jonathanwieben.com (a former colleague) and ohio.araw.xyz (someone from nearly the opposite of the planet, who has common interests). Thanks all!
Both motivated the heck out of me, to write more and get back to work!
Talk is cheap, so the last two weeks...